Sunday, May 26, 2024

 


A short blog today — mainly just some thinking out loud. As I write it, I am on a campground in the Pennsylvania foothills overlooking a lake. The sun is shining and the birds are singing. All seems well with the world.

 

“God did not send the Child into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through the Child. (John 3:17)

 

This short verse is part of the gospel lectionary today. It was the one part of the reading that caused me to pause and think deeply about it. It is a familiar verse, one often learnt and repeated by those new to the Christian faith. Yet sometimes it is that same familiarity that causes me to read the text quickly and forget to pause. So today, I want to linger here.

 

Mingled in with my thoughts is our community prayer “May we be as Christ to those we meet, may we find Christ within them”. They somehow seem to be interconnected.

 

Christ was not sent into the world to condemn it. Often when I open my Facebook page or read the news much of what I find is condemnation. Witty memes often masking people condemning other people who don’t think the same about religion or politics or the physical world. 

 

Why are we (as humans) so quick to condemn?

 Is it part of our nature? Is it part of the way we were nurtured? Or is it a combination? 

(A discussion that has been ongoing for centuries)

 

Whatever the reason, the good news is I can change. I can be in the habit of being careful about what I write or say. I’m glad that in the prayer book we have added to each office “May we be as Christ to those we meet, may we find Christ within them.” It is a daily reminder to strive to be Christlike and, in the light of today’s verse, not to condemn the world (the cosmos). A daily reminder to look for Christ in the surrounding beauty, in each animal and in each person (even if we disagree with them). 

 

The next part of the verse from the text says that the world might be saved by the Christ. I know the stereotypical way that this is perceived is as a single event of salvation, but I think there is a lot more to it than that. It is much deeper. As Jesus walked the earth how did he save the people from the situations they were in?  It was not just with words agreeing to a religious viewpoint; it was with acts of kindness and love. People were healed. Crowds were fed. Outcasts were acknowledged, Women were seen, not condemned. 

 

So, I walk a tightrope figuratively! 

 

I want to be as Christ to those I meet which means that I want to care for those I meet, especially the marginalized, the unseen, the hungry and the sick.  

 

I want to be as Christ to those I meet which means not condemning others even if they don’t think the same as I do. 

 

Can I find Christ within them all? For some, it is easier to find Christ in some than in others.

 

So here is my dilemma:

How do I stand against injustice and oppression without condemning people? 

How do I find Christ in both the oppressed and the oppressor, the abused and the abuser?

Is it even possible? 

 

So, some deep questions for me to ponder this week.